Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, k(dot)yudhveer(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16079: Question Regarding the BUG #16064
Date: 2021-06-04 01:09:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 11:02:56AM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> My feeling after all of that discussion is that the next step would be
> to move to some kind of negotiation between client and server about
> which methods are mutually acceptable. Right now, the protocol is
> structured around the server driving the authentication process, and
> the most the client can do is abort.

FWIW, this sounds very similar to what SASL solves when we try to
select a mechanism name, plus some filtering applied in the backend
with some HBA rule or some filtering in the frontend with a connection
parameter doing the restriction, like channel_binding here.

Introducing a new libpq parameter that allows the user to select which
authentication methods are allowed has been discussed in the past, I
remember vaguely writing/reviewing a patch doing that actually..
--
Michael