Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test - take three - remastered set
Date: 2021-05-18 01:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:32:13PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 5/16/21 9:55 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yes, I'm going to be proposing a series of smallish patches including
> these when the tree is branched (which I hope will be in a few weeks).

Thanks! That clearly needs to happen first. I'll help reviewing
these.

>> If we do that, then it should be possible to reduce the code footprint
>> in the buildfarm code, while still allowing people to test major
>> upgrades in the same old-fashioned way, right? That's assuming that
>> PostgresNode is made compatible down to 9.2, of course, as a first
>> step, as that's the range of the dumps you are keeping around for the
>> buildfarm.
>
> I'm intending to add some older dumps. -) But for now 9.2 is a good target.

Makes sense. For now, I'll update this patch set so as it is possible
to use custom dumps, as an option in parallel of pg_regress when
specifying a different source code path. I'll also decouple the
business with probin updates and stick with the approach used by the
buildfarm code.
--
Michael