Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables
Date: 2021-05-11 08:08:43
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 07:06:49PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Apr-09, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Does this need to worry about new partitions getting attached to a
>> partitioned table, or old ones getting detached? (Maybe it does
>> already, not sure.)
>
> I was pinged because this is listed as an open item. I don't think it
> is one. Handling ATTACH/DETACH/DROP is important for overall
> consistency, of course, so we should do it eventually, but the fact that
> autovacuum runs analyze *at all* for partitioned tables is an enormous
> step forward from it not doing so. I think we should treat ATTACH/
> DETACH/DROP handling as a further feature to be added in a future
> release, not an open item to be fixed in the current one.

Yeah, I'd agree that this could be done as some future work so it
looks fine to move it to the section for "won't fix" items, but that
sounds rather tricky to me as there are dependencies across the
partitions.

Now, I don't think that we are completely done either, as one
documentation patch has been sent here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210423180152.GA17270@telsasoft.com

Alvaro, could you look at that?
--