Re: pl/pgsql feature request: shorthand for argument and local variable references

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Jack Christensen <jack(at)jncsoftware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql feature request: shorthand for argument and local variable references
Date: 2021-03-17 08:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 02:06:57PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> I also think that there should be a single usable top label, otherwise it will
> lead to confusing code and it can be a source of bug.

Okay, that's fine by me. Could it be possible to come up with an
approach that does not hijack the namespace list contruction and the
lookup logic as much as it does now? I get it that the patch is done
this way because of the ordering of operations done for the initial ns
list creation and the grammar parsing that adds the routine label on
top of the root one, but I'd like to believe that there are more solid
ways to achieve that, like for example something that decouples the
root label and its alias, or something that associates an alias
directly with its PLpgSQL_nsitem entry?
--
Michael