Re: BUG #16894: PANIC: WAL contains references to invalid pages

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Антон Курочкин <antkurochkin(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16894: PANIC: WAL contains references to invalid pages
Date: 2021-03-05 04:32:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 06:49:02AM -0500, David Steele wrote:
> OK, but shouldn't we have a full page write for this page after the backup
> starts, rather than the partial we seem to be seeing here? Is there any
> condition where the full page write would be skipped legitimately, or does
> it point to a problem?

That's how things work. If they don't work this way for physical
backups, we may have a problem. At replay, the full page will be
replayed if BKPIMAGE_APPLY is correctly set, as per
XLogReadBufferForRedoExtended(). And XLogRecordAssemble()
does the decision when building the record (just grep for
needs_backup).

> If Postgres is running correctly there is certainly no expectation for
> support of this unusual use case, but I do think that this possibly points
> to an issue in Postgres, which under normal circumstances would be very hard
> to detect.

Well, the report tells that this is an issue that happens on those
fake files full of zeros, but are you sure that you have the sizing
right? I still don't see any evidence of anything broken based on the
information gathered for full backups, FWIW.
--
Michael