Re: Procedures versus the "fastpath" API

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Procedures versus the "fastpath" API
Date: 2021-03-15 05:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 02:33:47PM -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
> My vote would be reject using fastpath for procedures in all relevant branches.
> If someday someone cares enough to make it work, it is a new feature for a new
> major release.

FWIW, my vote would go for issuing an error if attempting to use a
procedure in the fast path for all the branches. The lack of
complaint about the error you are mentioning sounds like a pretty good
argument to fail properly on existing branches, and work on this as a
new feature in the future if there is anybody willing to make a case
for it.
--
Michael