Re: Improvements and additions to COPY progress reporting

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josef Šimánek <josef(dot)simanek(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Improvements and additions to COPY progress reporting
Date: 2021-02-20 07:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 11:39:22AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> Actually in the code base the style of that variable declaration and
> usage of pgstat_progress_update_multi_param is a mix. For instance, in
> lazy_scan_heap, ReindexRelationConcurrently, the variables are
> declared at the start of the function. And in _bt_spools_heapscan,
> index_build, validate_index, perform_base_backup, the variables are
> declared within a separate block.

I think that we should encourage the use of
pgstat_progress_update_multi_param() where we can, as it makes
consistent the updates to all the parameters according to
st_changecount. That's also usually cleaner to store all the
parameters that are changed if these are updated multiple times like
the REINDEX CONCURRENTLY ones. The context of the code also matters,
of course.

Scanning through the patch set, 0002 is a good idea taken
independently.
--
Michael