Re: progress reporting for partitioned REINDEX

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: progress reporting for partitioned REINDEX
Date: 2021-02-17 06:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:10:43AM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 02:55:04PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> I see no bug here.
>
> pg_stat_progress_create_index includes partitions_{done,total} for
> CREATE INDEX p, so isn't it strange if it wouldn't do likewise for
> REINDEX INDEX p ?

There is always room for improvement. This stuff applies now only
when creating an index in the non-concurrent case because an index
cannot be created on a partitioned table concurrently, and this
behavior is documented as such. If we are going to improve this area,
it seems to me that we may want to consider more cases than just the
case of partitions, as it could also help the monitoring of REINDEX on
schemas and databases.

I don't think that this fits as an open item. That's just a different
feature.
--
Michael