Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Date: 2023-01-31 06:40:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:48:45AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm going to set this thread as "Ready for Committer". Either wait a bit
> for more feedback on this topic, or just go ahead with either solution. We
> can leave it as a semi-open item for reconsideration later.

All the measurements I have done for the last couple of days point me
in the direction that there is no need for an extra node based on the
averaged computation times (did a few more today with some long CREATE
FUNCTION, VIEW or event trigger queries, for example). Agreed to add
the extra option as something to consider at some point during beta,
as long as it is fresh. I am not convinced that it will be necessary
but let's see how it goes.

While reviewing all the nodes, I have noticed two mistakes for a few
things marked as query_jumble_ignore but they should not:
- orderClause in WindowClause
- aliascolnames in CommonTableExpr
The rest was fine.

varnullingrels has been added very recently, and there was in
queryjumblefuncs.c a comment explaining why it should be ignored.
This has been moved to nodes.h, like the others.

With all that in mind, I have spent my day polishing that and doing a
close lookup, and the patch has been applied. Thanks a lot!
--
Michael