Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Date: 2023-02-07 22:32:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> With all that in mind, I have spent my day polishing that and doing a
> close lookup, and the patch has been applied. Thanks a lot!

I have just noticed that this patch is generating useless jumbling
code for node types such as Path nodes and other planner infrastructure
nodes. That no doubt contributes to the miserable code coverage rating
for queryjumblefuncs.*.c, which have enough dead lines to drag down the
overall rating for all of backend/nodes/. Shouldn't a little more
attention have been paid to excluding entire node classes if they can
never appear in Query?