Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: gkokolatos(at)pm(dot)me
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Rachel Heaton <rachelmheaton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date: 2022-12-05 07:05:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 03, 2022 at 11:45:30AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> While this is correct in checking that the contents are compressed
> under --with-zlib, this also removes the coverage where we make sure
> that this command is able to complete under --without-zlib without
> compressing any of the table data files. Hence my point from
> upthread: this test had better not use compile_option, but change
> glob_pattern depending on if the build uses zlib or not.

In short, I mean something like the attached. I have named the flag
content_patterns, and switched it to an array so as we can check that
toc.dat is always uncompression and that the other data files are
always uncompressed.

> In order to check this behavior with defaults_custom_format, perhaps
> we could just remove the -Z6 from it or add an extra command for its
> default behavior?

This is slightly more complicated as there is just one file generated
for the compression and non-compression cases, so I have let that as
it is now.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v15-0001-Provide-coverage-for-pg_dump-default-compression.patch text/x-diff 3.4 KB