Re: nextval parameter is not clear

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: ailjushkin(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: nextval parameter is not clear
Date: 2022-11-22 19:10:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 08:17:12AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-sequence.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/functions-sequence.html
>
> I don't see here any hints about how to use this function, and what the
> regclass means.
> How should I understand that sequence_name should be passed as string in
> nextval('sequence_name') ?
>
> Maybe add some links to other topics or clarify examples for nextval here.

Uh, the last sentence in that section says:

The sequence to be operated on by a sequence function is specified by a
regclass argument, which is simply the OID of the sequence in the
pg_class system catalog. You do not have to look up the OID by hand,
however, since the regclass data type's input converter will do the work
for you. See Section 8.19 for details.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson