Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes
Date: 2022-10-13 21:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 03:02:34PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Thanks Robert. I've tried to accommodate all of your thoughts, plus Alvaro's.
>
> New v5 attached.
>
> Happy to receive further comments.

I liked this patch very much. It gives details on a lot of the
internals we expose to users. Some of my changes were:

* tightening the wording
* restructuring the flow
* splitting out user-visible details (prepared transactions) from
internals, e.g., xid, vxid, subtransactions
* adding references from places in our docs to these new sections

I plan to apply this and backpatch it to all supported versions since
these details apply to all versions. These docs should enable our users
to much better understand and monitor Postgres.

Updated patch attached.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Indecision is a decision. Inaction is an action. Mark Batterson

Attachment Content-Type Size
xact.diff text/x-diff 19.3 KB