psqlodbc-08_00_0101 does not work with Ms Access

From: Christof Thalhofer <devnull(at)deganius(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psqlodbc-08_00_0101 does not work with Ms Access
Date: 2005-07-18 17:24:44
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

first, I want to thank all these people working on Postgresql and Psqlodbc
in any way for their good job!

The last weekend, through one day and one night, I found out, that the ODBC
Driver psqlodbc-08_00_0101 does not work correct in conjunction with MS
Access 97.

But correct works psqlodbc-07_02_0004!

My database is running on PostgreSQL 8.0.3/Linux. By using MS Access 97
with linked tables together with psqlodbc-08_00_0101 these problems occur:

1. Tables at Postgresql with a varchar(x) primary key or primary keys
combined of several columns: If linked in Ms Access 97 all columns are
marked as "Deleted". Access is not able to use the primary keys.

2. Columns in tables in Postgresql with type "text", when linked in Access
are not recognized correctly as "Memo" by Access. Instead they are
recognized as "Text" by Access, with a maximum of 255 (or 256?) chars.
"Text" in Access is the same type as Varchar(256) in Postgresql. "Memo" in
Access is nearly the same type as "text" or varchar (unlimited) in
Postgreql.

For me it took a long time to figure this out, because whenever i
deinstalled psqlodbc-08_00_0101, the dlls remained on disk. Several times I
installed an other psqlodbc-driver, but every time in reality psqlodbc-08_
00_0101 was used again by Access. I had to delete the psql*.dlls by hand to
be able to reinstall psqlodbc-07_02_0004.

Because the development is going on, it makes me insecure, that the
function of psqlodbc was changed in a way that in newer versions it is
unusable with MS Access.

Alles Gute and have a good time,

Christof
(For mail change "devnull" to my first name.)

--
oans zwoa drei fia
#/&wrxfs$%pff3rx4656tspf&x=#%xkro&(w53x4bl=h)$%