Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date: 2005-01-21 16:35:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

"tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)" wrote in pgsql.performance:
> Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca> writes:

>> Do you have a link for that information?
>>
>>> http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13
>>> TheInternetSocietyISOC
>>
>> That's perfect. Thanks!
>
> This is rather old news, actually, as Afilias (the outfit actually
> running the registry for ISOC) has been running the .info TLD on
> Postgres since 2001. They have the contract for the new .mobi TLD.

Perhaps it's old, but it's new to me because I don't follow that area
of the internet very closely.

> And they are currently one of not many bidders to take over the .net
> registry when Verisign's contract expires this June. Now *that* will
> be a hard TLD to ignore ;-)

Yes, indeed, that will be. My feeling is that Network Solutions
actually manages the .NET and .COM registries far better than anyone else
does, and when .ORG was switched away I didn't like the lack of flexibility
that I have always enjoyed with .NET and .COM -- the problem is that I have
to create a separate account and password for each .ORG internet domain
name now and can't just use one master account and password for all of
them, and if the same folks are going to be running .NET then I'm going to
wind up having more management to do for that one as well (and I'm not
talking about just a mere handlful of internet domain names either).

> I am actually sitting in a Toronto hotel room right now because I'm
> attending a meeting sponsored by Afilias for the purpose of initial
> design of the Slony-II replication system for Postgres (see Slony-I).
> According to the Afilias guys I've been having dinners with, they
> got absolutely zero flak about their use of Postgres in connection
> with the .mobi bid, after having endured very substantial bombardment
> (cf above link) --- and a concerted disinformation campaign by Oracle
> --- in connection with the .org and .info bids. As far as the ICANN
> community is concerned, this is established technology.

Perhaps you could mention this problem I've noticed to them if you
happen to be talking with them. It's obviously not a difficult problem to
solve when it comes to good database management and would really make life
a lot easier for those of us who are responsible for large numbers of
internet domain names.