Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-benchmarks(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date: 2005-01-09 03:20:15
Lists: pgsql-benchmarks

"tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)" wrote in pgsql.benchmarks:

> Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for recent performance statistics on PostgreSQL vs. Oracle
>> vs. Microsoft SQL Server.
>
> Oracle prohibits their licensees from publishing independent benchmarks,
> and I think the same is true for SQL Server. So you won't find anything
> unbiased.

I know for a fact that my client will see this as an admission of
weakness on the part of those two vendors (I assume you mean "Microsoft SQL
Server" when you use the generic term "SQL Server," despite the fact that
PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, etc., are all SQL Servers as well).

Do you happen to have links to their license agreements? I'd like to
see this for myself, because if it is then I'm going to cry a song similar to
"bloody murder" for many of my friends and colleagues once verified.

Thanks, by the way. This will pretty much be the needed "nail in the
coffin" as far as my client is concerned -- if those two organizations are
that restrictive in their license agreements, then my client will be very
concerned that they won't be able to trust the vendor in other was as well.