Re: comp.databases.postgresql.* groups and RFD

From: Woodchuck Bill <bwr607(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comp.databases.postgresql.* groups and RFD
Date: 2004-11-26 22:09:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Woodchuck Bill <bwr607(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote in

> "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk(at)chinet(dot)chinet(dot)com> wrote in
> news:pIOdndYMRqGJ7DrcRVn- 2w(at)newedgenetworks(dot)com:
>
>> Are these meant to be worldwide Usenet groups
>> or newsgroups local to your server?
>
> Supernews is already carrying all 29 of the new groups in the pgsql.*
> hierarchy. That alone makes them "worldwide groups", as SN is a major
> peer to other severs.

I just realized what a bad name pgsql.* is for a hierarchy. If someone
wants to look for a newgroup for PostgreSQL, he will type that word/string
into his newsreader and it will not bring up any of these newsgroups. I
just tried it on a server that carries the new groups, and the only
newsgroup that comes up when I search for "PostgreSQL" is
alt.comp.databases.postgresql. The name of the hierarchy should have been
postgresql.* instead. Even with the rogue comp.* groups, the word
PostgreSQL appeared in each of the bogus group names.

--
Bill