Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general

From: Woodchuck Bill <bwr607(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Important Info on comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date: 2004-11-09 20:43:44
Lists: pgsql-general

ru(dot)igarashi(at)usask(dot)ca wrote in news:cmr97f$t29$1(at)tribune(dot)usask(dot)ca:

> That's his perogative. His server, his rules (or whoever's he set the
> groups up on). We don't have the right to dictate what groups he puts
> on his news server. If someone else decides to take a feed from him
> and allow the group on their server, same story, their server, their
> rules. That kind of independence is at the foundation of usenet.
> While I may be displeased that the bogus groups exist, I'm similarly
> not going to be supportive of moves to dictate what groups he puts
> on his server.

Those groups are propagated to *other* servers, and they confuse lots of
people into thinking that they are bonafide Big-8 groups. Even Google is
either confused or careless about the status of those groups. If the NAN
team announces a reversal of the rec.woodworking.all-ages result in the
next few days, would you have any problem with the proponents sending out a
control message anyway? Archiving the rogue group in Google Groups? If
nothing else, taking no steps toward action sets a bad example, and might
encourage others to skip the RFD and create more rogue groups.

--
Bill