Re: The Tutorial(TM)

From: Randolf Richardson <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The Tutorial(TM)
Date: 2004-01-21 19:12:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

"tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)" wrote in comp.databases.postgresql.docs:

>> I feel that there is a very useful dividing line between chapters 2 and
>> 3: chapter 2 is about getting the data in and out, to give beginners a
>> feeling that the database system is working, chapter 3 is about
>> refining the data structures for higher convenience, maintainability,
>> and integrity -- "design".
>
> Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to divide the material into 3
> chapters instead of 2 --- beginner, intermediate, advanced. Looking
> at the existing TOC:
[sNip]

I think this is a good suggestion.

To add to this, within the actual content I think it would also be
good to reference the more advanced areas when appropriate. For example,
at the end of the "creating tables" section could be included:

See also: Views (advanced)
See also: Foreign keys (intermediate)

--
Randolf Richardson - rr(at)8x(dot)ca