Re: Expressional Indexes

From: "Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29" <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Expressional Indexes
Date: 2003-11-17 05:31:07
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

[sNip]
>> I have been considering using "calculated index" or "computed index"
>> but dunno if that really conveys anything.
>
> Well, "Expression Indexes" is the most accurate. Or "Expression-Based

What is the proposed definition of an "Expression Index?"

When I see this term, I get the impression I can create an index that's
based on the results of a SELECT, such as for selecting data with specific
values or ranges of values...

For example, if I want to index on a date field but only have the index
keep track of the most recent 30 days (and then create a secondary index for
all dates) so as to improve performance on more heavily loaded systems.

Am I understanding this new terminology correctly? Thanks in advance.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr(at)8x(dot)ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This message originated from within a secure, reliable,
high-performance network ... a Novell NetWare network.