RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Michael J Davis <michael(dot)j(dot)davis(at)tvguide(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date: 1999-04-28 21:05:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28-Apr-99 Michael J Davis wrote:
> I tired but it breaks in the Postmaster and not in the backend process that
> is created for each process.

Have you tried starting the postmaster in debug mode? From man postmaster:

-d [debug_level]
The optional argument debug_level determines the
amount of debugging output the backend servers will
produce. If debug_level is one, the postmaster will
trace all connection traffic, and nothing else. For
levels two and higher, debugging is turned on in the
backend process and the postmaster displays more
information, including the backend environment and
process traffic. Note that if no file is specified
for backend servers to send their debugging output
then this output will appear on the controlling tty
of their parent postmaster.

There other debugging comments in this man page so you may wanna look
at it first.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> TEAM-OS2
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com