Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Date: 1998-10-27 20:12:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27-Oct-98 Tom Lane wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com> writes:
>> I understand that, and I *don't* run it as root, I only install it
>> as root. After it's installed I chown it to postgres which is what
>> many other packages do.
>
> I dunno, that sure seems like the hard way to me. I made
> /usr/local/pgsql (which I had to do as root, since /usr/local isn't
> widely writable) and chowned it to postgres. Since then, I can do
> the builds, installs, and everything else as postgres.

$ ./configure
$ gmake
$ sudo gmake install

Many packages build/install similarly and the makefile ensures that the
permissions and ownerships are correct. Since the postgresql makefile
doesn't do the permissions/ownerships I have to. This last part must
be what you see as "the hard way". It's what I see as odd (as I stated
earlier). That's really the only difference. If I don't do the regression
tests (and I usually don't) I don't have to bother with the permissions
on the source tree.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> TEAM-OS2
Online Searchable Campground Listings http://www.camping-usa.com
"There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
than the federal government" -- Tony Snow