Re: [ADMIN] Limits on Tables?

From: Gerald Brandt <gbr(at)hvdc(dot)ca>
To: James Olin Oden <joden(at)lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Limits on Tables?
Date: 1998-07-31 13:39:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi there,

Okay, I've created a test. The test has 100 projects, and each project
has 500 entries. So basically it created 500 new tables, and 50000
records. Speed difference is negligible. I do not notice a slowdown,
although I have not done actual timing tests.

Today, I will add 50 more projects with 1000 entries each (again 50000
records), and essentialy double the size of the database, but not
drastically increase the number of tables.

Gerald

On 28-Jul-98 James Olin Oden wrote:

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have an app that has some basic tables. When a new project is
>> created
>> in the app, it creates 5 new tables (inherited from some base ones). A
>> single project will never go outside of its tables.
>>
>> What kind of speed problems will I be seeing when there are a lot of
>> projects? Say I have 100 projects, that would be 500 tables, plus a
>> couple of base tables, say 510 tables.
>>
>> Am I going to start seeing major problems?
>>

> Could share with us the tables you are using as base tables? I suspect
> that
> you may not need to do this scheme of duplicating tables, but could
> rather
> have a table that has a project ID, that you use to segregate your
> project
> data amongst these tables. At anyrate I would love to see the tables
> you
> have, and then I would know if how best to help....james

---
#include <std_disclaimer>

Gerald Brandt gbr(at)hvdc(dot)ca
Manitoba HVDC Research Centre http://www.hvdc.ca