Re: backup postgres database

From: Frank Finner <frank(at)finner(dot)de>
To: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: PGSQL <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, arun kv <arun(at)library(dot)iisc(dot)ernet(dot)in>
Subject: Re: backup postgres database
Date: 2002-03-17 22:54:15
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi Martin!

Ah, stupid me, you are right. Even if one has ALL create statements
within the dump, including the "create database", one must connect to a
database to be able to run the commands within the dump.

If in doubt, which database to use, one should always be able to
connect to database "template1" without great possibilities to damage
something (except one connects as user postgres) and run the dumped
commands, because "template1" is always there in a postgres
installation. But please be sure not to insert your tables into
template1, because everything what is in this database is used as
template for every new database! Just use it as a "connection database"
and run some commands similiar to

Create Database "my_db";
\connect my_db my_username

as the first commands of the dump (this is what "pg_dump -C <my_db>"
gives you)!

Another reason to carefully study the manpages... ;-)

Greetings, Frank.