Sv: PostgreSQL configuration in a VM

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
To: Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Sv: PostgreSQL configuration in a VM
Date: 2023-02-17 09:48:41
Lists: pgsql-general

På fredag 17. februar 2023 kl. 09:13:10, skrev Sebastien Flaesch <
sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com <mailto:sebastien(dot)flaesch(at)4js(dot)com>>:
Hi!

I was wondering if the is any specific configuration setting that should be
used with PostgreSQL, when running in a VM...

Is there anything obvious that must be set, to get best performances with such
a config?

Sorry for this general question...
In my experience the most important parameter when running in a VM is
random_page_cost, and for that to be set to a sane value you need to know the
characteristics of the disk available to your VM. In other words, disk IO is
what you should be worried about as VMs are pretty good at scaling CPU-wise.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS