Clarification in pg10's pgupgrade.html step 10 (upgrading standby servers)

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Clarification in pg10's pgupgrade.html step 10 (upgrading standby servers)
Date: 2017-07-28 14:35:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi -hackers.

I'm reading https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/pgupgrade.html to try to
understand how to upgrade standby-servers using pg_upgrade with pg10.

The text in step 10 sais:
"You will not be running pg_upgrade on the standby servers, but rather rsync",
which to me sounds like rsync, in step 10-f, should be issued on the standy
servers. Is this the case? If so I don't understand how the standby's data is
upgraded and what "remote_dir" is. If rsync is supposed to be issued on the
primary then I think it should be explicitly mentioned, and step 10-f should
provide a clarer example with more detailed values for the directory-structures
involved.

I really think section 10 needs improvement as I'm certainly not comfortable
upgrading standbys following the existing procedure.

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh