Re: Documentation needs significant improvement

From: "Ron St(dot)Pierre" <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation needs significant improvement
Date: 2003-01-30 17:59:17
Lists: pgsql-general

A little while ago I was a db newbie and a complete postgres newbie, so
I'll add my two cents worth. The current documentation is really quite
good, however the problem I had was trying to find what I needed in
them. Two things helped quite a bit:
1 - a good reference book eg PostgreSQL Essential Reference (but not
Practical PostgreSQL - the index is VERY sparse)
2 - pgAdminII - The searching mechanism in the help files is AWESOME.
It's a very quick and easy tool to use, and it's current (my version is
7.3 rc1). If you have a windows box available, I urge you to try pgAdmin
II, even for the documentation alone.

So, if someone created a web interface that did the same as pgAdminII
(its Help contents), it would solve most of the problems of finding what
a user needs in the documentation (in my humble opinion).

BTW Will, your regular expression docs are very good, they've been quite
helpful to me over the last couple of days.

--
Ron St.Pierre
Syscor R&D