Re: High-availability

From: Lew <lew(at)nospam(dot)lewscanon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High-availability
Date: 2007-06-03 17:32:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Alexander Staubo wrote:
>> As a side-note, I sat up pgpool-II today, and was pleasantly surprised
>> about how easy it all was; within two minutes I had two databases in
>> perfect sync on my laptop. It has limitations (such as in its handling
>> of sequences), but compared to Slony it's like a breath of fresh
>> mountain air.
>
> Err, the setup is, I mean. Once you have Slony up and running, it's
> pretty smooth.

I wonder what the OP means by "real-time". The standard definition is "within
a deterministic time bound".

Replication implies latency. Ignoring latency or wishing it away will not help.

It is possible to manage latency. One strategy is to minimize it. There are
others.

Also remember the ancient proverb, applicable when two or more nodes are
trying to agree on what time it is:
"Man with two watches never knows correct time."

I think of this category of issue as the Special Relativity of information.

--
Lew