RE: wake up logical workers after ALTER SUBSCRIPTION

From: "Takamichi Osumi (Fujitsu)" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Nathan Bossart' <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2022-11-22 07:18:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, November 22, 2022 1:39 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 03:03:52AM +0000, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:
> > Just One comment: IIUC the statement "ALTER SUBSCRIPTION" can be
> > executed inside the transaction. So if two subscriptions are altered
> > in the same transaction, only one of them will awake. Is it expected
> behavior?
> >
> > I think we can hold a suboid list and record oids when the
> > subscription are altered, and then the backend process can consume all
> > of list cells at the end of the transaction.
>
> I think you are correct. I did it this way in v2. I've also moved the bulk of
> the logic to logical/worker.c.
Hi, thanks for updating.

I just quickly had a look at your patch and had one minor question.

With this patch, when we execute alter subscription in a sub transaction
and additionally rollback to it, is there any possibility that
we'll wake up the workers that don't need to do so ?

I'm not sure if this brings about some substantial issue,
but just wondering if there is any need of improvement for this.

Best Regards,
Takamichi Osumi