RE: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com" <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com" <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Takamichi Osumi (Fujitsu)" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com" <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, "euler(at)eulerto(dot)com" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com" <m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br" <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)
Date: 2023-02-17 06:44:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Horiguchi-san,

Thank you for replying! This direction seems OK, so I started to revise the patch.
PSA new version.

> > > As Amit-K mentioned, we may need to change the name of the option in
> > > this version, since the delay mechanism in this version causes a delay
> > > in sending from publisher than delaying apply on the subscriber side.
> >
> > Right, will be changed.
> >
> > > I'm not sure why output plugin is involved in the delay mechanism. It
> > > appears to me that it would be simpler if the delay occurred in
> > > reorder buffer or logical decoder instead.
> >
> > I'm planning to change, but..
>
> Yeah, I don't think we've made up our minds about which way to go yet,
> so it's a bit too early to work on that.

The parameter name is changed to min_send_delay.
And the delaying spot is changed to logical decoder.

> > > Perhaps what I understand
> > > correctly is that we could delay right before only sending commit
> > > records in this case. If we delay at publisher end, all changes will
> > > be sent at once if !streaming, and otherwise, all changes in a
> > > transaction will be spooled at subscriber end. In any case, apply
> > > worker won't be holding an active transaction unnecessarily.
> >
> > What about parallel case? Latest patch does not reject the combination of
> parallel
> > streaming mode and delay. If delay is done at commit and subscriber uses an
> parallel
> > apply worker, it may acquire lock for a long time.
>
> I didn't looked too closely, but my guess is that transactions are
> conveyed in spool files in parallel mode, with each file storing a
> complete transaction.

Based on the advice, I moved the delaying to DecodeCommit().
And the combination of parallel streaming mode and min_send_delay is
rejected again.

> > > Of
> > > course we need add the mechanism to process keep-alive and status
> >
> > Could you share the good way to handle keep-alive and status messages if you
> have?
> > If we changed to the decoding layer, it is strange to call walsender function
> > directly.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't have a concrete idea at the moment. When I read
> through the last patch, I missed that WalSndDelay is actually a subset
> of WalSndLoop. Although it can handle keep-alives correctly, I'm not
> sure we can accept that structure..

No issues. I have kept the current implementation.

Some bugs I found are also fixed.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Time-delayed-logical-replication-on-publisher-sid.patch application/octet-stream 78.8 KB