RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Bharath Rupireddy' <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
Date: 2023-10-10 11:23:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Bharath,

Thanks for giving comments and apologize for late reply.
New version is available in [1].

> +1 for this approach. It looks neat.
>
> I think we also need to add TAP tests to generate decodable WAL
> records (RUNNING_XACT, CHECKPOINT_ONLINE, XLOG_FPI_FOR_HINT,
> XLOG_SWITCH, XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE, XLOG_HEAP2_PRUNE) during
> pg_upgrade as described here
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB58660273EACEFC5BF256
> B133F50DA%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com.
> Basically, these were the exceptional WAL records that may be
> generated by pg_upgrade, so having tests for them is good.

Hmm, I'm not sure it is really good. If we add such a test, we may have to add
further tests in future if new WAL log types during upgrade is introduced.
Currently we do not have if-statement for each WAL types, so it does not improve
coverage, I thought. Another concern is that I'm not sure how do we simply and
surely generate XLOG_HEAP2_PRUNE.

Based on above, I did not add the test case for now.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB5866068CB6591C8AE1F9690BF5CDA%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED