RE: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure

From: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Zhihong Yu' <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Shinya Kato <Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Subject: RE: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure
Date: 2022-01-20 06:58:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Zhihong,

Thank you for reviewing! And I have to apologize for the late.
I'll post new patchset later.

> + UnregisterAllCheckingRemoteServersCallback();
>
> UnregisterAllCheckingRemoteServersCallback
> -> UnregisterAllCheckingRemoteServersCallbacks

Will fix.

> + CheckingRemoteServersCallbackItem *item;
> + item = fdw_callbacks;
>
> The above two lines can be combined.

Will fix.

> +UnregisterCheckingRemoteServersCallback(CheckingRemoteServersCallback
> callback,
> + void *arg)
>
> Is the above func called anywhere ?

Currently not, I just kept the API because of any other FDW extensions.
But I cannot find any use cases, so will remove.

> + if (item->callback == callback && item->arg == arg)
>
> Is comparing argument pointers stable ? What if the same argument is cloned
> ?

This part is no longer needed. Will remove.

> + CallCheckingRemoteServersCallbacks();
> +
> + if (remote_servers_connection_check_interval > 0)
> + enable_timeout_after(CHECKING_REMOTE_SERVERS_TIMEOUT,
> +
> remote_servers_connection_check_interval);
>
> Should the call to CallCheckingRemoteServersCallbacks() be placed under the
> if block checking remote_servers_connection_check_interval ?
> If remote_servers_connection_check_interval is 0, it seems the callbacks
> shouldn't be called.

Agreed. We force stopping timeout when the GUC sets to 0 in assign_hook,
so your saying is consistent. Will move.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED