RE: [PGdocs] fix description for handling pf non-ASCII characters

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: 'jian he' <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [PGdocs] fix description for handling pf non-ASCII characters
Date: 2023-09-27 13:00:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Tom,

> No, I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. It's been a long time since
> high school English, but the way I think this works is that "that"
> introduces a restrictive clause, which narrows the scope of what
> you are saying. That is, you say "that" when you want to talk
> about only the bytes of the string that aren't ASCII. But "which"
> introduces a non-restrictive clause that adds information or
> commentary. If you say "bytes of the string which are not ASCII",
> you are effectively making a side assertion that no byte of the
> string is ASCII. Which is not the meaning you want here.
>
> A smell test that works for native speakers (not sure how helpful
> it is for others) is: if the sentence would read well with commas
> or parens added before and after the clause, then it's probably
> non-restrictive and should use "which". If it looks wrong that way
> then it's a restrictive clause and should use "that".

Thanks for giving your opinion. The suggestion is quite helpful for me,
non-native speaker. If you check my patch [1] I'm very happy.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB58663EB061888B2715A39217F5C2A%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED