RE: [PGdocs] fix description for handling pf non-ASCII characters

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Peter Smith' <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [PGdocs] fix description for handling pf non-ASCII characters
Date: 2023-09-27 12:59:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reviewing!

> TBH, I felt the new text descriptions deviated a bit too much from the
> originals. IMO only quite a small tweak was needed, so my suggested
> text in the comments below reflects that.

Good point, my patch may be too much.

> Commit message.
>
> 1.
> missing description

Added.
If we should use only printable ascii as a commit message, I can use '\x03'
instead of 'あああ'.

> [...]
> + are replaced with the <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>
> + <link linkend="sql-syntax-strings-escape">C-style escaped
> hexadecimal byte value</link>.
>
> BEFORE
> Other characters will be replaced with question marks (<literal>?</literal>).
>
> SUGGESTION
> Other characters will be replaced with <link
> linkend="sql-syntax-strings-escape">C-style escaped hexadecimal byte
> values</link>.
>
> ~~~
>
> 3. cluster_name:
>
> - build). Only printable ASCII characters may be used in the
> - <varname>cluster_name</varname> value. Other characters will be
> - replaced with question marks (<literal>?</literal>). No name is
> shown
> - if this parameter is set to the empty string
> <literal>''</literal> (which is
> - the default). This parameter can only be set at server start.
> + build).
> + Characters that are not printable ASCII, like <literal>\x03</literal>,
> + are replaced with the <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>
> + <link linkend="sql-syntax-strings-escape">C-style escaped
> hexadecimal byte value</link>.
> + No name is shown if this parameter is set to the empty string
> + <literal>''</literal> (which is the default). This parameter can only
> + be set at server start.
>
> <same as previous review comment #2>
>
> ======
> src/sgml/postgres-fdw.sgml
>
> 4.
> <para>
> <varname>postgres_fdw.application_name</varname> can be any
> string
> - of any length and contain even non-ASCII characters. However when
> - it's passed to and used as <varname>application_name</varname>
> + of any length and contain even characters that are not printable ASCII.
> + However when it's passed to and used as
> <varname>application_name</varname>
> in a foreign server, note that it will be truncated to less than
> <symbol>NAMEDATALEN</symbol> characters and anything other than
> - printable ASCII characters will be replaced with question
> - marks (<literal>?</literal>).
> + printable ASCII characters are replaced with the
> <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>
> + <link linkend="sql-syntax-strings-escape">C-style escaped
> hexadecimal byte value</link>.
> See <xref linkend="guc-application-name"/> for details.
> </para>
>
> ~
>
> AFAICT the first change wasn't necessary.
>
> ~
>
> As for the 2nd change:
>
> BEFORE
> ... and anything other than printable ASCII characters will be
> replaced with question marks (<literal>?</literal>).
>
> SUGGESTION
> ... and anything other than printable ASCII characters will be
> replaced with <link linkend="sql-syntax-strings-escape">C-style

They seem good, but they conflict with Karl's comments.
I made three patches based on comments [1], could you check?

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/TYAPR01MB58663EB061888B2715A39217F5C2A%40TYAPR01MB5866.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED