RE: Allow escape in application_name (was: [postgres_fdw] add local pid to fallback_application_name)

From: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Fujii Masao' <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: Allow escape in application_name (was: [postgres_fdw] add local pid to fallback_application_name)
Date: 2021-09-06 01:32:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Fujii-san,

Thank you for updating! Your modification is very interesting and
I learn something new.

> Attached is the updated version of the patch. I removed the test
> for case (1). And I arranged the regression tests so that they are based
> on debug_discard_caches, to simplify them. Also I added and updated
> some comments and docs. Could you review this version?

I agree removing (1) because it is obvious case.

```diff
+-- If appname is set both as GUC and as options of server object,
+-- the GUC setting overrides appname of server object and is used.
+SET postgres_fdw.application_name TO 'fdw_guc_appname';
+SELECT 1 FROM postgres_fdw_disconnect_all();
+ ?column?
+----------
+ 1
+(1 row)
+
+SELECT 1 FROM ft1 LIMIT 1;
+ ?column?
+----------
+ 1
+(1 row)
+
+SELECT application_name FROM pg_stat_activity
+ WHERE application_name IN ('loopback2', 'fdw_guc_appname');
+ application_name
+ fdw_guc_appname
+(1 row)
```

I think we should SELECT ft6 because foreign server 'loopback'
doesn't have application_name server option.

I have no comments anymore.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED