RE: [CAUTION!! freemail] Re: Partial aggregates pushdown

From: "Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp" <Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp" <Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: RE: [CAUTION!! freemail] Re: Partial aggregates pushdown
Date: 2023-12-07 00:10:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Mr.Haas.

Understood. Thank you for your response.

> > The process of creating partial aggregation functions from aggregation
> > functions can be automated, so I believe this issue can be resolved.
> > However, automating it may increase the size of the patch even more, so overall, approach#2 might be better.
> > To implement approach #2, it would be necessary to investigate how much additional code is required.
>
> Yes. Unfortunately I fear that there is quite a lot of work left to do here in order to produce a committable feature. To me it
> seems necessary to conduct an investigation of approach #2. If the result of that investigation is that nothing major
> stands in the way of approach #2, then I think we should adopt it, which is more work. In addition, the problems around
> transmitting serialized bytea blobs between machines that can't be assumed to fully trust each other will need to be
> addressed in some way, which seems like it will require a good deal of design work, forming some kind of consensus, and
> then implementation work to follow. In addition to that there may be some small problems that need to be solved at a
> detail level, such as the HAVING issue. I think the last category won't be too hard to sort out, but that still leaves two really
> major areas to address.
Yes, I agree with you. It is clear that further investigation and discussion are still needed.
I would be grateful if we can resolve this issue gradually. I would also like to continue the discussion if possible in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Yuuki Fujii

--
Yuuki Fujii
Information Technology R&D Center Mitsubishi Electric Corporation