RE: Global snapshots

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "'Andrey V(dot) Lepikhov'" <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca" <movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Cc: 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Global snapshots
Date: 2020-09-10 01:38:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andrey san,

From: Andrey V. Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>> > From: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> >> While Clock-SI seems to be considered the best promising for global
> Microsoft holds this until 2031. I couldn't find this with the keyword
> "Clock-SI.""
> >

> > US8356007B2 - Distributed transaction management for database systems
> with multiversioning - Google Patents
> > https://patents.google.com/patent/US8356007
> >

> > If it is, can we circumvent this patent?
> >>
> Thank you for the research (and previous links too).
> I haven't seen this patent before. This should be carefully studied.

I wanted to ask about this after I've published the revised scale-out design wiki, but I'm taking too long, so could you share your study results? I think we need to make it clear about the patent before discussing the code. After we hear your opinion, we also have to check to see if Clock-SI is patented or avoid it by modifying part of the algorithm. Just in case we cannot use it, we have to proceed with thinking about alternatives.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa