RE: Should walsernder check correctness of WAL records?

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Michael Paquier' <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: 'Konstantin Knizhnik' <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Should walsernder check correctness of WAL records?
Date: 2020-10-02 01:00:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
> CRC calculation would unlikely be the bottleneck here, no? I would assume
> that the extra lseek() calls needed to look after the record data to be more
> harmful.

Maybe, although I'm not sure lseek() is necessary. I simply thought walsender was designed to just read and send WAL without caring about other things for maximal speed.

> Yep. However, I would worry much more about the case of cold archives. In
> my experience, there are higher risks to get a WAL segment corrupted because
> it was on disk and that this disk got corrupted. Transmission is a one-time
> short operation. Cold archives could stay on disk for weeks before getting
> reused in WAL replay.

Yes, I think cold archives should be checked regularly. pg_verifybackup and pg_waldump can be used for it, can't they?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa