RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Dilip Kumar' <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luc Vlaming <luc(at)swarm64(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Date: 2021-05-27 07:16:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Basically you are creating a new table and loading data to it and that means you will be less likely to access those data soon so for such thing spoiling buffer cache may not be a good idea.

Some people, including me, would say that the table will be accessed soon and that's why the data is loaded quickly during minimal maintenance hours.

I was just suggesting only for experiments for identifying the root cause.

I thought this is a good chance to possibly change things better (^^).
I guess the user would simply think like this: "I just want to finish CTAS as quickly as possible, so I configured to take advantage of parallelism. I want CTAS to make most use of our resources. Why doesn't Postgres try to limit resource usage (by using the ring buffer) against my will?"

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa