RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com" <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Date: 2020-11-12 04:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The patch looks OK. I think as Thomas-san suggested, we can remove the modification to smgrnblocks() and don't care wheter the size is cached or not. But I think the current patch is good too, so I'd like to leave it up to a committer to decide which to choose.

I measured performance in a different angle -- the time DropRelFileNodeBuffers() and DropRelFileNodeAllBuffers() took. That reveals the direct improvement and degradation.

I used 1,000 tables, each of which is 1 MB. I used shared_buffers = 128 MB for the case where the traditional full buffer scan is done, and shared_buffers = 100 GB for the case where the optimization path takes effect.

The results are almost good as follows:

A. UNPATCHED

128 MB shared_buffers
1. VACUUM = 0.04 seconds
2. TRUNCATE = 0.04 seconds

100 GB shared_buffers
3. VACUUM = 69.4 seconds
4. TRUNCATE = 69.1 seconds

B. PATCHED

128 MB shared_buffers (full scan)
5. VACUUM = 0.04 seconds
6. TRUNCATE = 0.07 seconds

100 GB shared_buffers (optimized path)
7. VACUUM = 0.02 seconds
8. TRUNCATE = 0.08 seconds

So, I'd like to mark this as ready for committer.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa