RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Laurenz Albe' <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, 'David Steele' <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com" <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading
Date: 2021-03-19 08:29:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
> Now I'm not saying that this feature should not go in (I set it to
> "ready for committer", because I see no technical flaw with the
> implementation), but it remains debatable if we want the feature or not.

Oh, yes, thank you very much for supporting this and other relevant two threads!

> I certainly can see David's point of view. And we don't view MySQL as
> a role model that we want to emulate.

Yes, what MySQL was over ten years ago would not be a role model for us. OTOH, recent MySQL under Oracle should be improving much -- adopting InnoDB as a default storage engine, transactional data dictionary, etc. (Somewhat offtopic, but their documentation quality is great.)

> All these things are annoying to users, but we'd rather take that than
> the complaints that a database got corrupted because somebody didn't read
> the documentation carefully.

Hmm, if that were the case, then some people would say the unlogged-table based approach is also be dangerous, saying "Users don't read the manual carefully and easily think that making all tables unlogged is good for performance."

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa