RE: [bug fix] ALTER TABLE SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED on a partitioned table does nothing silently

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Bharath Rupireddy' <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [bug fix] ALTER TABLE SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED on a partitioned table does nothing silently
Date: 2020-12-08 01:18:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
> Do you mean to say that if we detach all the partitions(assuming they
> are all unlogged) then the parent table(assuming logged) gets changed
> to unlogged? Does it happen on master? Am I missing something here?

No, the parent remains logged in that case both on master and with patched. I understand this behavior is based on the idea that (1) each storage unit (=partition) is independent, and (2) a partitioned table has no storage so the logged/unlogged setting has no meaning. (I don't know there was actually such an idea and the feature was implemented on that idea, though.)

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa