RE: [bug fix] ALTER TABLE SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED on a partitioned table does nothing silently

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Alvaro Herrera' <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: 'Bharath Rupireddy' <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [bug fix] ALTER TABLE SET LOGGED/UNLOGGED on a partitioned table does nothing silently
Date: 2020-12-08 03:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
> Does "ALTER TABLE ONLY parent" work correctly? Namely, do not affect
> existing partitions, but cause future partitions to acquire the new
> setting.

Yes, it works correctly in the sense that ALTER TABLE ONLY on a partitioned table does nothing because it has no storage and therefore logged/unlogged has no meaning.

> This sounds very much related to previous discussion on REPLICA IDENTITY
> not propagating to partitions; see
> https://postgr.es/m/201902041630.gpadougzab7v@alvherre.pgsql
> particularly Robert Haas' comments at
> http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoYjksObOzY8b1U1=BsP_m+702eOf42fqRtQTYio
> 1NunbA(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
> and downstream discussion from there.

There was a hot discussion. I've read through it. I hope I'm not doing strange in light of that discussioin.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa