RE: Global snapshots

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Fujii Masao' <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrey V(dot) Lepikhov" <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca" <movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Global snapshots
Date: 2020-10-28 07:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii-san, Sawada-san, all,

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
> Yeah, so if we need to guarantee the transaction linearizability even
> in distributed env (probably this is yes. Right?), using only Clock-SI
> is not enough. We would need to implement something more
> in addition to Clock-SI or adopt the different approach other than Clock-SI.
> Thought?

Could you please try interpreting MVCO and see if we have any hope in this? This doesn't fit in my small brain. I'll catch up with understanding this when I have time.

MVCO - Technical report - IEEE RIDE-IMS 93 (PDF; revised version of DEC-TR 853)
https://sites.google.com/site/yoavraz2/MVCO-WDE.pdf

MVCO is a multiversion member of Commitment Ordering algorithms described below:

Commitment ordering (CO) - yoavraz2
https://sites.google.com/site/yoavraz2/the_principle_of_co

Commitment ordering - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commitment_ordering

Related patents are as follows. The last one is MVCO.

US5504900A - Commitment ordering for guaranteeing serializability across distributed transactions
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5504900A/en?oq=US5504900

US5504899A - Guaranteeing global serializability by applying commitment ordering selectively to global transactions
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5504899A/en?oq=US5504899

US5701480A - Distributed multi-version commitment ordering protocols for guaranteeing serializability during transaction processing
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5701480A/en?oq=US5701480

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa