RE: speed up a logical replica setup

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: RE: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-01-08 07:05:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Amit,

> On Fri, Jan 5, 2024 at 3:36 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
> <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > I love your proposal, so I want to join the review. Here are my first comments.
> >
> > 01.
> > Should we restrict that `--subscriber-conninfo` must not have hostname or IP?
> > We want users to execute pg_subscriber on the target, right?
> >

> I don't see any harm in users giving those information but we should
> have some checks to ensure that the server is in standby mode and is
> running locally. The other related point is do we need to take input
> for the target cluster directory from the user? Can't we fetch that
> information once we are connected to standby?

I think that functions like inet_client_addr() may be able to use, but it returns
NULL only when the connection is via a Unix-domain socket. Can we restrict
pg_subscriber to use such a socket?

> > 05.
> > I found that the connection string for each subscriptions have a setting
> > "fallback_application_name=pg_subscriber". Can we remove it?
> >
> > ```
> > postgres=# SELECT subconninfo FROM pg_subscription;
> > subconninfo

> > user=postgres port=5431 fallback_application_name=pg_subscriber
> dbname=postgres
> > (1 row)
> > ```
>
> Can that help distinguish the pg_subscriber connection on the publisher?

Note that this connection string is used between the publisher instance and the
subscriber instance (not pg_subscriber client application). Also, the
fallback_application_name would be replaced to the name of subscriber in
run_apply_worker()->walrcv_connect(). Actually the value would not be used.
See below output on publisher.

```
publisher=# SELECT application_name, backend_type FROM pg_stat_activity where backend_type = 'walsender';
application_name | backend_type