Re: recommended reading

From: "paul butler" <paul(at)entropia(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Gallamine" <iam(at)gallamine(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recommended reading
Date: 2002-12-14 10:13:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

From: "Gallamine" <iam(at)gallamine(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [NOVICE] recommended reading
Date sent: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:23:34 -0500

SAMS PHP and Postgresql Advanced programming
by Geshwinde and Schonig will fit the bill

The title is misleading as it has it has all the usual boiler plate
about normalisation, 'hello world' in php, which I think could have
have been left out. These things are important, but every book I buy
seems to include them to up the page count, and a soup to nuts
approach to rdbms, relational theory, php structures,regex and
object orientation is a pretty tricky task, and it leaves less room for
the advanced stuff.
There is also a big overlap with their earlier sams book, the pg
developers handbook. As I had that already, maybe this coloured
my opinion.
It would get 7 or 8 out of 10 if somebody asked me to rate it.
cheers
Paul Butler