libpq++ updates

From: dagraz(at)mindspring(dot)com
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com
Subject: libpq++ updates
Date: 2000-05-24 20:54:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Greetings,

There are a couple of changes I would like to make to libpq++,
but I thought I would write first to check
-if there would be any interest in including any of these items
-if anyone else has these items covered
-if any of these items are clearly bad ideas

a) add string overloads to the methods accepting char*'s

b) allow for a minimized libpq++.h

including libpq++.h includes a host of other files dumping
quite a few definitions into the global namespace that,
strictly speaking, are not necessary for a user's application.
For example, I ran into trouble when c.h typedef'ed Index,
which I had already typedef'ed to a different value in my
application.

The idea would be to have the user visible header include
only the class specifications and none of the postgres.h
internal definitions. These could be included separately
should the use so need them.

Also, as namespace is fully supported in the latest gcc's,
this might be a good time to optionally include the
classes in a single namespace (PQ, LibPQ, Pg, PgXX or some such).

c) Move PgConnection::Connect and PgConnection::PgConnection()
from the protected to the public interface.

Any reasons why this would be undesirable?
It would require a check at the start of some methods for the
presence of a connection, but the performance hit shouldn't
be significant.

any thoughts will be appreciated,

-d