Database security via a special ODBC connection possible?

From: "BJB" <x(at)x(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database security via a special ODBC connection possible?
Date: 2000-08-03 21:53:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to distribute a web based app on CD-ROM that will need a local copy
of a database as a backend. I need a way to keep the contents of this dB
from getting ripped. Is there a way to set up an "invisible" system DSN ODBC
connection (as in, the user cannot look at the DSN settings that would
contain the username and password to access the dB).

In addition is there a way to encrypt the dB and have the "invisible"
connection driver decrypt as
it accesses the data. I am flexible as far as the dB type goes.

--
Brent Burval
IT Consultant