Re: PL/Perl compilation error

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: adam(dot)rossi(at)platinumsolutions(dot)com
Cc: "gav" <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Perl compilation error
Date: 2000-09-03 14:04:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Alex Guryanow <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru> writes:
> > [root(at)eaccess plperl]# perl Makefile.PL
>
> For recent Perl versions you need to do
> perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
> instead. The src/pl Makefile would've done it that way for you,
> but it looks like that code patch didn't make it to the docs...
>
> Someone needs to update our Perl code so that it will compile cleanly
> against both newer and not-so-new Perls. There are notes in our mail
> archives about how to do this (basically "use Devel::PPPort" is the
> long-term answer) but it hasn't gotten to the top of anyone's to-do
> list.

Can someone eventually enlighten me a little?

We've had problems like platform/version dependant
compilation errors with PL/Tcl in the past too, but they got
fixed pretty quick and a reasonable number of people worked
on that all together.

We have frequent compilation error reports with PL/perl but
nobody seems to be able/willing to do anything about it.

PL/perl was once highly requested feature. Now there is a
code base and lesser experienced programmers could continue
the work, but nobody does.

What is the problem with perl? Are there only alot of users
but no hackers? The frequent fail reports suggest that there
are folks who want to have that thing running. I can't
believe that a piece of open source software, that is so
popular, is implemented in such an ugly way that nobody has a
clue how to fix that damned thing.

So please tell me why people spend their time writing error
reports again and again instead of simply fixing it and
submitting a patch.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #