Re: Execute A String of Query

From: Daniel Andersen <zedar(at)free2air(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Execute A String of Query
Date: 2002-01-23 04:25:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

> I am really new to Postgres. But I am familiar with SQL Server.
>
> I want import data from delimiter file.
> How can I do this?
> My delimiter file is as following:
>
> Regards,
>
> lonh

I'm not sure if theres a neater solution out there, but I usually just pipe
it through a one liner perl script and then back into psql, sorta like

cat filename|perl -ne 's/\|/,/g; chop $_; print "insert into tablename values
($_);\n"'|psql databasename

under the bash shell. Of course this all gets a bit messy if there are
strings involved, but works nicely for numerical data. although the example
given suggests you have access to the original database, in which case simply
pg_dumping it is a much easier solution :)
Daniel